Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: NUNTHORPE.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY.

Langbarugh liberty, W. D. Population, vide Ayton; Church-room, 100; Net value, £46. -This Chapel, in which was a Chantry, founded in the time of King Edward III., appears, says Mr. Graves, to have been originally private, and built and endowed by the lord of the manor for the convenience of his tenants or domestics, the patronage of which is still appendant to the manor. It continued a Donative, and exempt from ordinary jurisdiction, till it was augmented. It does not enjoy the parochial rights of baptism, sepulture, or marriage.

Mr. Torre notices a Chantry in this Chapel.

The patronage, in 1793, was in J. B. Pierson, Esq., and Henry Orton, yeoman ; and in 1814, in Thomas Simpson and T. Masterman, Esq.

Augmented in 1790, with £200; in 1794, with £200; in 1797, with £200; in 1 81 6, with £200; and in 1824, with £200 -all by lot.

On the 2nd August 1823, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Chapel.

No glebe house.

Register Books, vide Ayton.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 35. Burton's Monasticon, pages 250, 251. 335. Graves's Cleveland, page 207. -Abp. Sharp gives no particulars except as to the Nominations, vide vol. iii. page 160.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.