GREAT AYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"GREAT AYTON, pronounced provincially 'Yatton,' is a village, in the parish of its name, in the same division and liberty as Stokesley, about two miles and a half from that town. The parish church is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a curacy, in the sift of the Rev. George Marwood. There is a public school, originally erected in 1704, and re-built in 1785; it was in this humble building that the celebrated navigator, Captain Cook, received his early education. The population of the townships of Great and Little Ayton, by the census of 1821, was 1,269."
Note: The directory entry for Great Ayton in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Stokesley.
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007