GREAT AYTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"GREAT AYTON, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same liberty as Stokesley, about two miles and a half from that town. The only particular branch of trade here is that in linseed oil, for the making of which there are two respectable establishments. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a neat edifice of considerable antiquity : the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. George Marwood. The public school here was originally erected in 1704, and rebuilt in 1785 ; it has a small endowment for the education of a limited number of boys of the township. It was in this school that the celebrated navigator, Captain Cook, received the early rudiments of his education, at the expense of Thomas Scottowe, Esq. whom his father served as manager of a farm. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,296 inhabitants, of which number 1,103 were returned for the township of Great Ayton, and 68 for that of Little Ayton.
Please see Stokesley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]