The Ancient Parish of GREAT EDSTONE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT EDSTONE, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles SSE. of Kirkbymoorside. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Marquis of Salisbury; incumbent, the Rev. Christopher Roberts. Pop. 156.
Over the south door of the Church is a Saxon Dial with an inscription, similar to that at Kirkdale, but not so perfect. -Young."
- Transcriptions of the censuses from 1841 to 1911 for Edstone are to be found on Bernie Franks' Normanby in Ryedale site.
- Transcript of the entry for Great Edstone in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Edstone to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE705840 (Lat/Lon: 54.246841, -0.919579), Great Edstone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)