[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT LANGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles NW. of Northallerton; pleasantly situated on the banks of the Swale. The church living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Duke of Leeds of which the Rev. Francis Drake D. D. is the resident incumbent. Population, 116.
The few houses here that give name to the parish are situated so near the brink of the river Swale, that they are frequently in danger of being swept away. The church stands about a quarter of a mile from the village."
"LANGTON LODGE, (the seat of Francis Redfearn, Esq.) in the parish of Great Langton, township of Little Langton and wapentake of Gilling East."
"LITTLE LANGTON, in the parish of Great Langton, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles SSE. of Great Langton, 5 miles WNW. of Northallerton. Redfearn Francis Esq. of the lodge is the principal inhabitant. Pop. 86."
- Transcript of the entry for Great Langton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Great Langton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Langton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE295964 (Lat/Lon: 54.362274, -1.547525), Great Langton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial opposite Church Lane entrance, Great Langton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: