GREAT LANGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of East Gilling - Electoral Division of Brompton. Poor Law Union and County Court District of Northallerton - Rural Deanery of Richmond East - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This parish consists of the townships of Great and Little Langton, comprising 1,840 acres and 229 inhabitants. The former township, containing 856 acres (rateable value, £850), is chiefly the property of Edward H. Courage, Esq., Kirkby Fleetham Hall; W. R. West, Esq., Thirsk; J. Eden Wilson, Esq., Bootham, York; Mr. R. Dobson, Low Spennymoor; and Christopher Clarke, Esq., The Hermitage, Bedale, The manorial rights belong to the Hon. Admiral Carpenter, who inherited the estates of the late Earl of Tyrconnel.
The village of Great Langton, or, as it is sometimes called, Langton-on-Swale from its situation on the bank of that river, is distant six miles N.W. of Northallerton. The Church, of which the dedication has been forgotten, stands in a retired spot a little out of the village. It is a small ancient structure, restored in 1856 by the late Lord Teignmouth, to whose memory a brass tablet was erected in the chancel in 1887. The fabric comprises nave, chancel, porch, and open bell turret. The living is a rectory, worth £270 a year, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of York, and held by the Rev. C. E. Band, B.A.
For the greater convenience of the inhabitants, a mission chapel, dedicated to the Good Shepherd, was erected in the village in 1877 and 1880. It is a small, neat edifice, containing sittings for 90 persons. The east window was inserted by the rector, in memory of his brother, In the centre light, Christ is depicted as the Good Shepherd; and, in the side lights, are St. Peter and St. Lawrence.
The Wesleyan Methodists have also a chapel here, built in 1877, at a cost of £400, raised by subscription. It will seat 150 persons, and is in the Northallerton circuit.
The Parish School, which is attended by 40 children, has an endowment of £600, left in 1849, by Mrs. Redfearn, of Langton Lodge. The income from this capital is about £20 a year.
The poor receive 50s. a year, left by John Gretam, of Richmond, in 1618, and the interest of £100, left by Dr. Drake, a late rector, in 1845.
LITTLE LANGTON township contains 984 acres of land and 96 inhabitants, and is rated at £1,056. The principal estate and hall, late the property and seat of Lord Teignmouth, were purchased in 1887 by John Bellerby, Esq., J.P., of Burnholme, York, of which city he was sheriff in 1878-9. The Hall is a handsome mansion, standing in a picturesque park of about 100 acres, through which flows the river Swale.
C. G. Tate, Esq., J.P., Richmond, owns a farm here, and Miss Rawson, of Nydd Hall, has about 40 acres of land in the township. The soil is clayey, and the chief crops wheat, oats, and beans.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.