[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GREAT SMEATON, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 7 miles N. of Northallerton. This village particularly merits attention, from the extent and grandeur of its prospects. The southern parts of the county of Durham, Cleveland, and the fine country along the banks of the Tees, towards Richmond, with part of the vale of York, in contrast with the black frowning mountains of the eastern and western moors all in full view, form a most magnificent assemblage. The church is an ancient structure; and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lord Middleton. Pop. 250."
"HIGH ENTERCOMMON, a public house (The Golden Lion) and toll-bar in the parish of Great Smeaton, and wapentake of Gilling East; 1 mile NW. of Great Smeaton, 8 miles N. of Northallerton."
"HORNBY, in the parish of Great Smeaton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1¼ miles NE. of Great Smeaton, 8 miles N. of Northallerton. The only place of worship in this village is a small Methodist chapel. The Grange in this township is the residence of Henry Howgill, Esq. Population, 238."
"HORNBY GRANGE, (the seat of Henry Hewgill Esq.) in the parish of Great-Smeaton, wapentake of Allertonshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Great Smeaton, 7 miles from Northallerton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Great Smeaton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Smeaton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ348045 (Lat/Lon: 54.434733, -1.46502), Great Smeaton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: