GREAT SMEATON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GREAT SMEATON, a parish partly in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, and partly in the eastern division of that of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from North Allerton, containing, with the township of Hornby, 488 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond (with the perpetual curacy of Appleton upotv Wisk in that of Cleveland), and diocese of Chester, rated in the Icing's books at £13. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Henry Hewgill, Esq. The river Wisk runs through the parish, and the Tees flows along the northern side of it."
"HORNBY, a township in that part of the parish of GREAT-SMEATON, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N. from North Allerton, containing 238 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]