Hide

Grinton

hide
Hide


The Ancient Parish of GRINTON

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"GRINTON, a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire: 1 mile SE. of Reeth. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph), is a very ancient structure, and has lately undergone many repairs; the windows, which are much corroded by time, are beautifully ornamented with stained glass. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the King. There were fairs formerly held here, but owing to its decreasing population they were transferred to Reeth, a market town in this parish. This parish is divided into four townships, each of which maintains its own poor, namely, Grinton, S. of the Swale: Reeth, on the N.; Melbecks, W. of Reeth; and Muker, on both banks of the Swale, which extends to the Dalehead. Population, 689."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Angram
  • Barf End
  • Birkdale
  • Blades
  • Calvert Houses
  • Cogden Hall
  • Crackpot
  • Feetham
  • Fremington
  • Frith
  • Greens
  • Grinton Lodge
  • Gunnerside
  • Harkerside
  • Hartlakes
  • Healaugh
  • High Oxnop
  • Ivelet
  • Kearton
  • Keld
  • Low Oxnop
  • Low Row
  • Melbecks
  • Muker
  • Paradise
  • Park Hall
  • Potting
  • Ramps Holme
  • Rash
  • Ravenseat
  • Raw
  • Raw Croft
  • Reeth
  • Riddings
  • Satron
  • Scar Houses
  • Sherfitt Hall
  • Spring End
  • Storthwaite Hall
  • Summer Lodge
  • Swale Hall
  • Thorns
  • Thwaite
  • West Stonesdale
  • Winterings

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

  • The Gunnerside website has transcriptions of some of the Census data for the Gunnerside area.
  • Please see Christine Amsden's Census pages for the following Census transcriptions:
    • Blades: 1851, 1861, 1901
    • Feetham: 1851,1871, 1901
    • Fremington: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
    • Grinton: Complete from 1841 to 1901
    • Gunnerside: Complete from 1841 to 1901
    • Healaugh: Complete from 1841 to 1901
    • Melbecks: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
    • Muker: Complete from 1841 to 1901
    • Reeth: 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891, 1901
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Community Websites

topup

Description & Travel

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE047984 (Lat/Lon: 54.381075, -1.929144), Grinton which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
    • (NY906008) Crackpot Hall
    • (NY896066) Tan Hill
    • (SD973978) Smarber
topup

Societies