Hide

KELD: Keld Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

KELD.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

" Keld Chapel" is mentioned by Leland in the year 1540. In 1695 a churchwarden's account is preserved, which contains the following item-" For walling up Keld Chapel door, £0 1s. 0d." The chapel was in ruin about the year 1706. It was rebuilt as an Independent chapel in 1789, with a contiguous dwelling-house. The ministers have been-
  • 1789. Rev. EDWARD STILLMAN. He was minister for forty-eight years. He did much for the improvement of affairs among his people. He had been a Moravian, and retained some of the peculiarities of that body.
  • The chapel was enlarged about the year 1820, and two small graiths were then purchased behind it.
  • 1837. Rev. WILLIAM SEDGWICK. He remained only one year.
  • 1838. Rev. JAMES WILKINSON. His ministry extended over twenty-eight years.
In 1842, a new school-room was built; the ground was walled, and a new burial-ground added in 847-8 at the cost of £38 16s. old. In 1853-4 the dwelling-house was enlarged. A Mutual Improvement Society was formed in one of the rooms in 1854. In 1861, the chapel was rebuilt and enlarged at a cost of £306 10s. In the same year the Literary Institute was built at a cost of £119. After a laborious and most useful ministry, Mr. Wilkinson's health failed. He died at Southport, Dec. 3, 1866.

NOTES:-
* By aid of Rev. J. Waddington.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.