[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HAWNBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 6 miles NW. of Helmsley. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Cavendish family; and the Rev. Godfrey Wolley, is the incumbent. Population, 286."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Haydn Scott has transcribed the following population censuses for Hawnby parish:
- The 1841 census for Bilsdale. This file is in pdf (Acrobat) format.
- The 1841 census for Hawnby. This file is in pdf (Acrobat) format.
- The 1851 census for Hawnby.
- The 1871 census for Hawnby.
- The 1881 census for Hawnby.
- The 1881 census for Arden.
- The 1881 census for Daletown hamlet.
- The 1881 census for Snilesworth.
- Here is a photograph of All Saints' Church, Hawnby. (The smoke is due to wood being burnt nearby).
- Transcript of the entry for Hawnby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hawnby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE543898 (Lat/Lon: 54.300933, -1.167107), Hawnby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial plaque inside Hawnby Parish Church.