Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HILTON. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 1,510 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. --Population, 113 *1 ; Church-room 88 ; Net value, £50. This Chapel still contributes to the repairs of the Mother Church, but is in all other respects considered to be a separate parish.
Patron, Earl of Burlington.
Valued in 1707 at £5. 9s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £47 per annum.
Augmented in 1746 with £200; in 1767, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1809, with £200; in 1815, with £200; and in 1829, with £200, -all by lot.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1698. The Return states that " marriages were not solemnised prior to 1754 *2."
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Stokesley.
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 134. Graves's Cleveland, page 179.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 212.
*2 Consequently no marriages can now be legally solemnized therein until licensed. This requires attention.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.