HILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HILTON, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Yarm, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Stokesley. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Tees. It is wholly agricultural, and the houses are of a straggling form. The soil is clay intermixed with gravel, and the land is chiefly arable. The parish derived its name from the family of Hilton, to whom the estate belonged in the reign of Henry III. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £12 12s. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £50. The church is situated in the centre of the village, and is a small structure, with a tower containing two bells."
"LEVEN BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parishes of Hilton and Stainton, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Yarm. It is situated near the point where the river Leaven joins the Tees."
"NEWTOWN, a hamlet in the parishes of Hilton and Stainton, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Yarm."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013