"DALEHOUSE MILL, in the township and parish of Hinderwell; 1½ miles NW. of Hinderwell, 11 miles from Whitby, 13 from Guisborough."
"LITTLE SCALING, a hamlet in the township of Easington, and parish of Hinderwell; 2¾ miles WSW. of Hinderwell, 12 miles from Whitby."
"ROXBY, in the parish of Hinderwell, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles W. of Hinderwell, 11 miles ENE. of Guisborough. There is here a small Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) to the Parish Church of Hinderwell. Pop. 236.
It was founded and endowed in the reign of Henry the V. by the Boynton family; in the east window are effigies in painted glass, bearing the arms of Boynton, and probably the founder. -Graves.
At Roxby was born July 22, 1600, Sir Hugh Cholmley, Bart. an active and intelligent royalist in the time of Charles I. He had the command of Scarborough castle at the time it surrendered in 1645. He died at Peckham, Nov. 30, 1657. -Vide Hist. of Whitby and Scarborough, and the memoirs of his life, written by himself."
"RUNSWICK, or Runswick Bay, in the parish of Hinderwell, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; ¾ mile ESE. of Hinderwell, 8 miles NW. of Whitby.
A fishing village about a mile east of Staithes, singularly situated on the margin of the sea, which here forms an immense inlet, called Runswick Bay, capable of containing several hundred sail of ships. About 150 years ago Runswick was, situated in the front of the bay, facing the sea, when one night as some of the inhabitants were, what is called waking a corps, the ground on which it stood suddenly gave way, which they providentially perceiving, alarmed the rest of the inhabitants, so that few, if any, perished by this catastrophe. The houses were soon after buried under masses of earth, and gradually sank down to the sea."
"SCALING, in the parishes of Hinderwell and Easington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2¾ miles S. of Easington, 10 miles E. of Guisborough."
"SEATON HALL, in the township and parish of Hinderwell; 1 mile NW. of Hinderwell, 9 miles from Whitby."
"STAITHES, in the parish of Hinderwell, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1½ miles NNW. of Hinderwell, 11 miles NW. of Whitby; a fishing village, situated upon the coast, in a rugged creek, surrounded by lofty hills, and so completely is it secluded from the eye of the traveller, that he looks in vain for the town till he arrives at the summit of the craggy hills by which it is immediately encompassed. The inhabitants live almost wholly by fishing; during the winter and spring seasons they go out to sea in small flat bottomed boats, called Cobles, each carrying three men, and so constructed as to live in very tempestuous weather; in summer they go out in large boats, of from ten to twenty tons burden, called "Five Men Cobles ;" they generally sail on Monday, and, if the weather permit, continue at sea the whole week; on their return, the fish is cut up and salted by the women : and after passing through the brine, it is spread out to dry on the beach. The fishery is here carried on to a great extent, and, in the herring season, this village generally sends fifteen vessels to Yarmouth, a greater number than is sent from any other place on the Yorkshire coast. Besides fishing, the inhabitants here, and along the coast, during the summer months, are occasionally occupied in making Kelp, which is a lixivial salt, obtained by the burning of sea weeds, and consists chiefly of the fixed vegetable alkali, used in the process of making alum, glass, &c. The sea weed is cut at low water from the rocks, and when dry is burnt in heaps, being constantly stirred with an iron rake till it becomes condensed and caked together in large masses, Pop. included with Hinderwell."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]