Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FRYTON.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Fryton contains six carucates held of the fee of Mowbray ; whereof John de Barton held three and Matthew de Lew-ans held other two and seven oxgangs of Roger de Mowbray, who held the same of the King in capite, and the Chapel is endowed with one oxgang, not geldable.

Here forty carucates made a knight's fee, and the town paid 2s. per annum.

There was a Chapel at Fryton in the time of King Henry VI., which was served by a stipendiary Priest.

Torre's MS., page 321. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 80. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Fritun, Fridetun), pages 73.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.