Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HOVINGHAM. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 8,630 acres. Rydall and Bulmer wapentakes *1. -Population, 1,193 *2; Church-room, 470; Net value, £101. -At the time of the Conquest there was a Church at Hovingham, which was afterwards appropriated to the Abbey of Byland, to which it was given by Roger de Mowbray, together with the common of pasture in his forest and wood here.
Hovingham is a town held by the Lords de Mowbray of the King in capite, and answered for half a knight's fee.
And in it were six carucates of land and one oxgang geldable, held of the fee of Mowbray ; whereof John de Bysingby held ten oxgangs, and Roger de Mow bray held four carucates and seven oxgangs of the King in capite, by the rent of 2s. per annum.
And there were other two carucates and seven oxgangs not geldable, which the Canons of Newburgh held of Roger de Mowbray ; likewise there was one oxgang of land held by Roger Kaball of the liberty of St. Mary's, York.
Wath, one carucate of land was held by Nicholas de Stapelton of Roger de Mowbray who held of the King in capite, and answered for the twentieth part of a knight's fee.
East Ness contained three carucates geldable, (twelve making a knight's fee) which Gilbert de Luda held of Jordan Foliott, who held of the heirs of Wake, and they of Roger de Mowbray and he of the King in capite, and answered to the fourth part of a knight's fee.
West Ness contained five carucates of land geldable, (where six made a knight's fee) ; whereof John de Stayngrik held four of the fee of Paynell, and Richard de Butterwick held one of John de Paynell of the King in capite, and the town answered for two parts of a knight's fee.
Patron and impropriator, the Earl of Carlisle.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £20; and in 1818, at £57 per annum *3.
Augmented in 1770, with £200; and in 1792, with £200 -both by lot ; in 1811, with £300 from the Parliamentary Grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Earl of Carlisle, the patron ; and in 1814, with £1,200 from the same Grant -by lot.
Faculties to erect galleries were granted on the 14th February 1793, and the 12th March 1821.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1642; chasm 1665, 1672-1747.
Poor's Money. The sum of £108, being the amount of sundry legacies and donations, is placed out, and the amount distributed among the poor.
Richard Prowde's charity, in 1773. Interest of £10 -distributed by a descendant of the family.
Mrs. Frances Arthington's charity. Interest of £20, for putting six poor children to school.
Rev. James Graves's charity, by will, dated 4th June 1804. Dividends on £200 five per cent. consols, for instructing poor children in English, reading, and the Church Catechism. -Vide 9th Report, page 714.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS., page 321. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 80. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Howingham), page 199; (Scarhelenge) 24. 72. 200. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 199. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 318. Burton's Monasticon, pages 333. 336. 360. Nonae Rolls, page 240.
*1 The parish of Hovingham is partly in Bulmer wapentake. The township of East Ness was heretofore entered as forming part of Stonegrave parish.
*2 Viz. Aryholme and Hawthorpe, 42; Cotton, 131; Fryton, 60; Hovingham, 672 ; South Holme, 66 ; Skackleton, 164 ; Wath, 21; and East Ness, 38. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,190.
*3 A decree in the Exchequer in Easter Term, 20th Jac. I., is unreported. " The landholders in the hamlets of East Ness, Crockholme, and Southholme, pay yearly the sum of £3. 6s. 8d., in lieu of small tithes. -Taylor, v. Crathborne." 2 Wood, page 273.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.