HOVINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 7 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. (the seat of Edward Worsley, Esq.) The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); and the living is a perpetual curacy, of which the Earl of Carlisle, is the patron, and the Rev. Robert Freer, the incumbent; there is here also a Methodist chapel. Population, 649.
A charter was granted in the 36th year of the reign of Henry III. for a market, fair, &c. and renewed in the 13th of the reign of George II. 1739. The market to be held on the Thursday; the fairs to be held on the 14th, 15th, and 16th of August, for live cattle, and all kinds of English grain, merchandise, &c. The market has been discontinued a number of years. Here is a school endowed with £10. a year, by the Rev. James Graves, of Beverley, for twelve poor children, and £20. by Mrs. Ann Arthington, of Arthington; the interest of which was to be applied towards educating four children.
Anciently the seat of the great Roger de Mowbray, but now possessed by the Worsley family. In the gardens of Thomas Worsley, Esq. in 1745, was discovered a Roman hypocaust, and in another place, a small tesselated pavement. There were also found in making the gardens, considerable remains of buildings, evidently proving the spot to have been the site of a Roman villa.
Young, in his six months tour, thus describes Mr. Worsley's house. "The approach is through a very large stone gateway, upon which is the following inscription;
Virtus in actione consistit.
and as the building looks pretty much like the gable end of a large house, I mistook it at first (with that inscription) for an hospital: The entrance is directly out of the street for coaches, through a narrow passage into a large riding-house, then through the anti-space of two stables, and so up to the house door. In the hall is an antique basso relievo of a Bacchanalian group: Two bronzes-Hercules squeezing Antoeus; and Herculas and a Stag; likewise a very good portrait of Bishop Williams. The chimney-piece is of white Sienna Marble, with doric pillars, an instance of the bad effect of pillars without bases even of that order. The panels of the room are painted in fresco, Sacrifice to Diana, &c." In the library, drawing, and dining-rooms, are several busts and small statues drawings, and pictures.
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]