The Ancient Parish of HUNTINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HUNTINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles NNE. of York. Here is a church dedicated to All Saints; the living is a vicarage; under the patronage of the College of Vicars, York, and the Rev. J. Richardson, A. M. is the incumbent. This village is situated on the east bank of the navigable river Foss. Population, 346,"
"EARSWICK, in the parishes of Huntington and Strensall, wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 2½ miles SSW. of Strensall, 3½ miles NNE. of York. Pop. 116."
"TOWTHORPE, in the parishes of Strensall and Huntington, and wapentake of Bulmer, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2½ miles NNE. of Huntington, 4½ miles NNE. of York. Population, 58."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Huntington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Huntington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huntington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE615551 (Lat/Lon: 53.988296, -1.063546), Huntington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in All Saints' Churchyard at Huntington.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE609555) New Earswick
- This parish is covered by the following Society: