Huntington, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HUNTINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of York, its post town, by road, or 3½ by the York and Market Weighton railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on both banks of the navigable river Foss. The parish comprises the villages of East and West Huntington, with the townships of Earswick and Towthorpe. The inhabitants are employed in agriculture. The land is principally arable, and the soil clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £127, in the patronage of the subchanters and vicars-choral of York Cathedral. The church is an ancient stone structure, dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a National school, also a small place of worship for the Wesleyans. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."
"EARSWICK, a township in the parish of Huntington, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding of county York, 4 miles N.E. of York. It is situated on the river Foss. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted under the Enclosure Act of 1770."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013