The Ancient Parish of HUTTON BUSCEL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HUTTON BUSCEL, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 6 miles, SW. of Scarborough. Here is a very neat church embosomed in trees, dedicated to St. Matthew (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. G. Woolley, of Scarborough, is vicar, and Earl Fitzwilliam, the patron; here is likewise a Methodist chapel.
In the Church is a marble monument to the memory of Dr. Richard Osbaldeston, Bishop of London, who died in 1764. A great part of the manor-house was burnt to the ground, Jan. 4, 1809. The ancestor of the ancient family of Buscel or Bushels came over with William the Conqueror, and had lands assigned him not far from Seamer; there he built a church, and married Alice, sister to William do Percy, the first abbot of that monastery, about the year 1127. In the church is a marble monument, erected to the memory of Dr. Richard Osbaldeston. son of Sir Richard Osbaldeston, of Hunmanby, in the East Riding, and Bishop of London, who died in 1764; besides some others of a more recent date. Population, 419."
"EAST AYTON, (and West Ayton), in the parishes of Seamer and Hutton Buscel, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 1¼ miles ENE. of Hutton Buscel, 5 miles SW. of Scarborough, each pleasantly situated on the opposite banks of the river Derwent, over which is a bridge of four arches; which after winding in a confined current through the valley of Hackness, here displays a broader stream. In West Ayton stand the ruins of an ancient building (see History for photograph), once the fortified residence of the family of the Ewers, or Evers, who possessed large demesnes in this place. The village of East Ayton is celebrated for its charming valley. The lofty hills which embosom this valley rise almost perpendicular, clothed with pendant woods, under which the river Derwent meanders through the vale. These villages comprise the lordship of Gilbert, who from them assumed the name of Ayton, in the reign of Henry I. The heir of this family, in the reign of Edward II. inherited, in right of his mother, the estates of William Lord Vesci, who died without issue. From this family, it came by marriage with the heiress into the possession of Henry de Bromflete; and, by the same mode of inheritance, it became the property of the martial family of the Cliffords, of Skipton castle. Pop. 562. (see also Churches)"
- Transcript of the entry for Hutton Buscel in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hutton Buscel.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Scarborough Gazette of 1905,
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hutton Buscel to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE973841 (Lat/Lon: 54.243354, -0.508396), Hutton Buscel which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Churchyard at Hutton Buscel.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: