Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe East - Electoral Division of Snainton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Scarborough - Rural Deanery of Malton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Hutton Buscel parish comprises the township of its own name, and also that of West Ayton, covering a total area of 6,050 acres, including moorland, of which there is a considerable extent. The parish is bounded on the east and south by the river Derwent, the neighbourhood of which abounds in picturesque scenery. The number of inhabitants returned in the census of 1881 was 958.
The township of Hutton Buscel contains 3,510 acres, and 500 inhabitants, and is rated at £3,232. The manor formerly belonged to the Buscel family, the ancestor of which came over with the Conqueror, and settled in this part of Yorkshire, where he had received a considerable grant of land, and built the church of Hutton Buscel. In later times it came into the possession of the Osbaldestons, from whom it was purchased, in 1839, by the Hon. Marmaduke Langley, and descended to the late Viscount Downe. It is now held by his widow, the Dowager Viscountess Downe, of Baldersby. The following have also land in the township: Mrs. Candler, Low Hall, West Ayton; Lord Derwent, Hackness Hill; Lady Hewley's trustees; and Rev. H. S. Pearson, Lythe.
The village is delightfully situated on a wooded eminence, six miles S.W. of Scarborough. The church (St. Matthew), which comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and tower, was given by Reginald Buscel, who died in 1127, to Whitby Abbey, and this grant was confirmed by his son Alan. The present church is of later date, and was thoroughly restored by the late Lord Downe. On the north wall of the chancel is a marble memorial to the Right Rev. Richard Osbaldeston, bishop of London, who died in 1764, and on the south side there is another to Elizabeth, his first wife, who died in 1748. The carved oak reredos was erected by the parishioners in memory of the late vicar, who held the living for 47 years. A stained glass window of three lights in the south aisle records the memory of Elizabeth Monkman, "the faithful nurse and companion in sickness of many ladies," by whom this memorial is erected as "a lasting testimony to her life of love and devotion." There is also a marble monument over her grave in the churchyard, erected by a lady and her four daughters. The living is a vicarage, value £420, including 220 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Earl Fitzwilliam, and the incumbency of the Rev. T. G. Little, B.A., who was inducted in 1873. The parish register dates from the year 1857.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village built in 1822.
The Parish school is a neat structure, rebuilt by Lord Downe in 1854. It is endowed with a rent-charge of £14, payable out of the estate, and 11 acres of land allotted at the enclosure in 1797.
CHARITIES. - T. J. Candler, of West Ayton, who died in 1879, bequeathed the sum of £500, the interest thereof to be distributed in coals, flour, &c., among the poor of the parish; and the sum of £200 was left by Henry Pearson, in 1867, for the same purpose.
WEST AYTON. The area of this township, according to the overseer's returns, is 1,521 acres, the rateable value, £2,711, and the population, 458. Lady Hewley's trustees are the principal owners and lords of the manor. The Dowager Lady Downe and Mrs. Candler have also some land in the township, and the N.E.R. Co., 737 yards of railway.
Soon after the Conquest, this, and the adjoining manor of East Ayton, belonged to a family called from the place de Etton. Later, the Eures or Evers possessed lands here, and the ruined tower of their castle still forms a prominent object near the village, which stands on the bank of the Derwent, opposite East Ayton, with which, it is connected by a good stone bridge.
The Wesleyan chapel here was built in 1842, and renovated in 1886.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.