The Ancient Parish of HUTTON MAGNA
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HUTTON MAGNA, (or Hutton Longvilliers), a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 8 miles NNW. of Richmond. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling West, incumbent the Rev. William Heslop. Pop. with Lanehead, 248. (see also Churches)"
"LANE HEAD, in the parish of Hutton Magna, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 8 miles NNW. of Richmond."
"WEST LAYTON, in the parish of Hutton Magna, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 1¾ miles SSE. of Hutton Magna, 7 miles NNW. of Richmond. Pop. 69.
Morris Robinson, the present Baron Rokeby, of Armagh, and an English baronet, is descended from a long line of an illustrious family, the Robinsons of Rokeby and West-Layton, who have, at different times, filled various important offices in the state. They appear to have come into possession of the Layton estate in 1644, by marriage with a daughter of the Laytons. -Richard Layton, a younger son of the Laytons, of West-Layton, was dean of York in Henry the 8th's time, and was one of the persons whose authority that monarch principally made use of in dissolving the monasteries. The first Lord Rokeby was Richard Robinson, created a baron in 1777, Sir Leonard Robinson being knighted by King William III. -Heir presumptive, Matthew Montague, Esq. his Lordships brother. -Debrett."
- Here is a photograph of St Mary's Church, Hutton Magna.
- Transcript of the entry for Hutton Magna in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hutton Magna.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hutton Magna to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ126124 (Lat/Lon: 54.50676, -1.806925), Hutton Magna which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: