[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HUTTON MAGNA, (or Hutton Longvilliers), a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 8 miles NNW. of Richmond. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Gilling West, incumbent the Rev. William Heslop. Pop. with Lanehead, 248. (see also Churches
"LANE HEAD, in the parish of Hutton Magna, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 8 miles NNW. of Richmond."
"WEST LAYTON, in the parish of Hutton Magna, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 1¾ miles SSE. of Hutton Magna, 7 miles NNW. of Richmond. Pop. 69.
Morris Robinson, the present Baron Rokeby, of Armagh, and an English baronet, is descended from a long line of an illustrious family, the Robinsons of Rokeby and West-Layton, who have, at different times, filled various important offices in the state. They appear to have come into possession of the Layton estate in 1644, by marriage with a daughter of the Laytons. -Richard Layton, a younger son of the Laytons, of West-Layton, was dean of York in Henry the 8th's time, and was one of the persons whose authority that monarch principally made use of in dissolving the monasteries. The first Lord Rokeby was Richard Robinson, created a baron in 1777, Sir Leonard Robinson being knighted by King William III. -Heir presumptive, Matthew Montague, Esq. his Lordships brother. -Debrett."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]