HUTTON MAGNA: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of West Gilling - Petty Sessional Division of Greta Bridge - County Court District of Barnard Castle - Poor Law Union of Teesdale - Rural Deanery of Richmond West - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This is a small agricultural parish, lying near the northern boundary of the Riding, and sometimes called Hutton Long Villiers. It embraces the two townships of Hutton and West Layton, and has a population of 258.
HUTTON township comprises an area of 1,305 acres, and is solely the property of Sir F. A. Talbot Clifford Constable, Bart., of Burton Constable, near Hull and Scargill Lodge. The soil is a rich loam, resting on limestone. For rateable purposes, this township is valued at £1,453. The manor of Hoton anciently belonged to the family of Longuevillers, or Longvilliers; and, in the reign of Henry III., Margaret, daughter and heiress of Sir John Longvilliers, carried the family estates in marriage to Geoffrey de Neville, governor of Scarborough Castle, and second son of Geoffrey de Neville, of Raby Castle, county Durham, The estate has since passed through many families, and is now owned as above stated. The village is scattered, but pleasantly situated, six miles S.E. of Barnard Castle, and ten miles N.W. of Richmond.
The Church (St. Mary) is a neat Gothic structure, rebuilt in 1877, on the site of an older one, at a cost of over £1,400, which was raised by subscription, chiefly through the energetic labours of Miss Duff, of Hartforth. It consists of chancel and nave, with a small turret carrying two bells. The interior is neatly fitted with oak benches and a carved screen of the same material. The east and south windows of the chancel, each of three lights, are stained glass memorials to John Easton and his sister, Miss Emma Easton, respectively. In the former are vividly depicted the Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ascension, and on the latter the "Family at Bethany." The reredos, a handsome piece of workmanship, was erected in 1885 by Miss E. M. Easton, in memory of the above lady, her sister. It is of a late Gothic style, and was designed by Mr. R. J. Johnson, Newcastle-on-Tyne, who was also the architect of the church. It is constructed mainly of Caen stone, with inlays of marble, and is divided into three compartments, which extend across the east end from wall to wall. The central one, which forms the reredos proper, is divided into three panels with arched and cusped heads, the frame-work and arches being of very fine polished English alabaster. The ground work of the panels is in Emperor's red marble, very beautifully diapered. In the centre is a Latin cross of pure white marble, with delicate beadings and pateras in the angles, and in the side panels the monogram of Our Lord in high relief, enclosed within a circular disc. Below are six shields, two in each panel, charged with the instruments of the Passion of Our Lord, cut in fine white marble. The wings are made entirely of Caen stone, each divided into two panels with arched and cusped heads, under a cornice with carved pateras in the hollow, and the whole finished with a double battlement mould. The altar is of Caen stone, and in front are cut on shields the emblems of the four Evangelists, with the Agnus Dei in the centre.
The same generous lady has also presented, during the present year, a two-manual organ, built by Harrison and Harrison, of Durham and London, The case is of solid oak, of a rich and handsome design.
Built into the wall of the west end is an old tombstone, with sword and shears carved thereon, but no inscription to tell whose grave it once covered.
The Living was formerly a perpetual curacy, under Gilling, but was made a vicarage about two years ago. It is held by the Rev. M. H. Hayman, and is worth £102 a year. Patron, the vicar of Gilling.
The Vicarage House, situated on rising ground within the parish of Wycliffe, is a commodious residence, erected in 1887, at the sole expense of Miss E. M. Easton, of Layton Manor.
In 1858, the village was supplied with water brought from Warden Hill, a distance of 1,200 yards, at the sole expense of Cuthbert Watson, Esq., of Ovington. After being in use about twelve years, the iron pipes became choked up with rust, the water was cut off, but nothing further has been done to render the supply again available.
Hutton Hall, the residence of Mrs. Elizabeth Robinson, has been in the occupation of the same family for upwards of two centuries. This mansion was one of the secret retreats of the Catholics in the days of persecution, and within its walls many a hunted priest has found a refuge from the pursuivants.
The hamlet of Lane Head is in this township.
WEST LAYTON township contains 726 acres, and is rated, for Poor Law purposes, at £1,289. It is, with the exception of 27 acres belonging to J. Michell, Esq., solely the property of Miss E. M. Easton, who is also the owner of all the manorial rights. West Layton Manor, the occasional residence of the above lady, is a handsome modern mansion, erected by the late John Easton, Esq., in 1872, on the site of the old hall, once the seat of the Lords of Rokeby. The village of West Layton, which consists of the above mansion, two farmhouses, and a few cottages occupied by the employees of Miss Easton, stands on an eminence, about two miles from Hutton Magna Church.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.