Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HUTTONS AMBO. Church dedication: ST. MARGARET. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 2,300 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. Population, 412 ; Church-room, 150; Net value, £93.
These towns form one parish formerly appropriated to the Priory of Kirkham, but no Vicarage was ever ordained.
Torre says, the Church of Hoton super Derwent was an ancient Rectory given to the Prior of Kirkham, and to the same appropriated, and King Henry VIII. settled it on the Archbishopric of York.
10th December 1800, a faculty was granted to take away the Chapel at Low Hutton, wherein divine service had been performed every third Sunday, and apply the materials towards the repairs of the parish Church.
Patron, the Archbishop of York.
Impropriator, Lord Macdonald.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £36. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £16; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; in 1707, at £13; and in 1818, at £106 per annum.
Augmented in 1723 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Michael Bridges ; in 1810 with £200, -by lot ; and in 1811 with £300 from the Parliamentary grant to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. James Jarvis Cleaver, the incumbent.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1714. A few leaves in No. 2. almost illegible.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS. (East Riding), page 791. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 27. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 317. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 124.
*1 Torre places this parish within the Deanery of Buckrore and Archdeaconry of the East Riding.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.