INGLEBY ARNCLIFFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"INGLEBY ARNCLIFFE, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Stokesley, and 8 from Northallerton, its post town. It is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland section of the North-Eastern railway. The parish contains the hamlet of Ingleby Cross. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £49. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower. In the interior are two ancient effigies in stone, much disfigured. The register commences from 1657. Ingleby Hall, situated in the midst of wooded grounds, and sheltered by a lofty range of hills, is the seat of --- Mauleverer, Esq., who is the lord of the manor. A short distance from the mansion are the ruins of the Carthusians of Mount Grace, occupying a space of about 3 acres, entered by a Gothic gateway; the tower of which, supported by perpendicular Gothic arches, is still standing. A portion of the building has been converted into tenements. In 1804 a large inn was erected here by subscription, called the Cleveland Tontine, but is now converted into a farmhouse."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013