The Ancient Parish of KILBURN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KILBURN, (or High and Low Kilburn) a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, & liberties of Ripon & Pickering Lythe; 7 miles ESE. of Thirsk. The village is divided into High Kilburn and Low Kilburn. Pop. 500."
"HOOD GRANGE, a farm house in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth and liberty of Ripon; 1¾ miles NNW. of Kilburn, 6 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Pop. 30.
Here was an Hermitage to Whitby, where Robert de Alnetto, a Monk of Whitby lived; but in 1138, through the influence of Roger de Mowbrey and Gundred his mother, was converted into an Abbey for Monks of the Cistercian order, which was removed to old Byland in 1143, and finally to Byland near Coxwold in 1147. -Burton, -Speed, -Dugdale. It is now merely a farm-house, the thick walls of which, with its antique windows, and a stone coffin placed in the wall of the west buildings, prove its antiquity."
"OLDSTEAD, in the parish of Kilburn, and wapentake of Birdforth (Oldstead Grange, the seat of Thomas Paul, Esq.) ; 7 miles N. of Easingwold. Population included in Byland."
"OSGOODBY, in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, and liberty of Ripon; 1½ miles WNW. of Kilburn, 5 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Population included in Kilburn."
"WASS, in the parish of Kilburn, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2½ miles E. of Kilburn, 6 miles SW. of Helmsley. The principal inhabitant of this place is Mr. John Bree. Pop. included with Byland."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Kilburn.
- John Bunting's Chapel, Oldstead, view 1 (also known as Scotch Corner chapel).
- John Bunting's Chapel, Oldstead, view 2.
- John Bunting's Chapel Doorstep, Oldstead.
- St. Thomas's Church, Wass.
- Internal view looking down the nave
- Transcript of the entry for Kilburn in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilburn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE514797 (Lat/Lon: 54.210469, -1.213394), Kilburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial at Kilburn.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: