[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRBY HILL, or Kirby on the Moor, a parish in the wapentake of Halikeld and liberty of Allertonshire; 1 mile N. of Boroughbridge. Here is a small parish church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the King and the Rev. Henry Kitchingham, A.M. is the incumbent. Pop. 190."
"BRAMPTON HALL, a farm house in the township of Langthorpe, and parish of Kirby Hill; 1¾ miles SW. of Kirby Hill, 2 miles west of Boroughbridge.
This place was for several generations the residence of the ancient family of the Tancreds."
"HUMBERTON, in the parish of Kirby Hill, and wapentake of Halikeld; 2 miles E. of Boroughbridge. The principal inhabitant is Mr. Joseph Smith, yeoman, of Burton Grange. Population with Milby, 120."
"LANGTHORPE, in the parish of Kirby Hill, and wapentake of Halikeld; ¾ mile S. of Kirby Hill, half a mile NW. of Boroughbridge. Pop. 143."
"MILBY, in the parishes of Kirby Hill and Aldborough, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile NNW. of Aldborough, 1 mile N. of Boroughbridge. Before the conquest, the great north road lay through the city of Burgh, and crossed the Ure by a Wooden bridge, opposite to this village, some remains of which may yet be discerned when the water is low. This hamlet is separated from Boroughbridge by the river Ure. Pop. included with Hum Burton."
- Transcript of the entry for Kirby Hill in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirby Hill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE390684 (Lat/Lon: 54.110008, -1.404965), Kirby Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War II Roll of Honour in All Saints Church, Kirby Hill.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.