Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KIRBY HILL. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN. Church type: Augmented discharged Vicarage.
Area, 2,200 acres. Hallikeld wapentake. -Population, 524 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £300. -The Church was given by Roger de Mowbray to the Abbey of Newburgh, but it does not appear when it was appropriated or the Vicarage ordained.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown.
Valued in the King's Books, at £7. 13s. 6½d.
Inclosure Act (Kirkby Hill and Langthorpe) 46th Geo. III.
Glebe house unfit.
The Register Books commence in 1607 ; parts of them are illegible.
No return ; except as to the endowment of a Chapel for Non-jurors at Ellenthorpe. -Vide 5th Report, page 647.
Torre's MS., page 1489. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (vide the numerous notices of Cherckebi). Nonae Rolls, page 238. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 318. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 197.
*1 Viz. Humberton with Milby, 139; Kirkby-on-the-Moor, 189; Langthorpe, 196. Returned in 1834, at 570.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.