[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRBY KNOWLE, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 5 miles NNE. of Thirsk. The living of the church is a rectory in the patronage of Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart. Pop. 138."
"BAGBY, in the parish of Kirby Knowle, and wapentake of Birdforth; 4¼ miles S. of Kirby Knowle, 3 miles SE. of Thirsk. Here are two chapels, a Methodist chapel and a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), of which the rector of Kirby Knowle is curate. Pop. 242."
"BALKE, in the parish of Kirby Knowle, wapentake of Birdforth; 4 miles S. of Kirby Knowle, 3½ miles ESE. of Thirsk. Pop. 125."
"ISLEBECK, in the township of Carlton-Miniott, and parish of Kirby Knowle, wapentake of Birdforth; 6 miles S. of Kirby Knowle, 4 miles from Thirsk."
"NEW BUILDING, (later Newbygill) (the seat of the widow of the late Francis Smyth, Esq. F.A.S a gentleman deeply read in the antiquities of this county) in the township and parish of Kirby-Knowle; 6 miles from Thirsk, 9 from Northallerton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirby Knowle to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE469873 (Lat/Lon: 54.279198, -1.281199), Kirby Knowle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: