Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BAGBY. Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.
Birdforth wapentake. -Population *1 vide Kirkby Knowle; Church-room, no return : Net value, no return.
Patron, vide Kirkby Knowle.
Valued in 1707, at 10s. per annum. The tower of the Chapel was rebuilt in 1751.
Here was an extensive hospital founded by the Mowbrays about the year 1200, for sick or poor persons, and apparently dependent upon St. Leonard's Hospital in York.
An Inclosure Act was passed 28th Geo. III.
No return as to glebe house.
The Register Books, commence in 1556 ;-chasm from 1640 to 1653, inclusive. Marriages are celebrated in this Chapel.
TOWNSHIPS OF BALK AND BAGBY. -Thomas Kitchingman's rent charge of 40s. per annum out of land at Beeston, for the poor.
rent charge of 10s. per annum out of Broad Close. Distributed once a year.
Wilson and Ward's charities. £58. 6s. 8d., now placed on a turnpike road security. £20 was left by the Rev. James Williamson. £33. 6s. 8d. by Mr. Robert Ward; and £5 was raised by subscription.
Jane Watson's gift to poor widows, by will, dated 8th May 1759. Interest of £20. The principal was applied towards building a poor-house ; and the sum of 16s. per annum is paid as interest out of the poor's rate, and divided between two poor widows. -Vide 4th Report, page 393.
Post town: Thirsk.
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 47. Not noticed by Torre. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 780. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bagebi) page 197. Burton's Monasticon, page 56. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 111.
*1 Returned in 1834 at 242.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.