KIRBY KNOWLE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIRBY KNOWLE, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 9 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 6 N.E. of Thirsk, its post town and nearest railway station. This parish, which is situated in a valley, surrounded by an amphitheatre of hills, contains the hamlet of Balk. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture, and about 360 acres of woodland and waste. The line of the Great Northern railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £415. The church is a small ancient structure, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1815. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a chapel-of-ease at Bagby."
"BAGBY, a chapelry in the parish of Kirby-Knowle, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Thirsk. The living is a perpetual curacy attached to the rectory of Kirby."
"BALK, a township in the parish of Kirby Knowle, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Thirsk."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013