The Ancient Parish of KIRBY SIGSTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRBY SIGSTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 4 miles ENE. of Northallerton. The parish church is dedicated to St. Lawrence; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Sir T. Slingsby, Bart. Pop. 131."
"FOXTON, in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1 mile NNE. of Kirby Sigston, 5 miles ENE. of Northallerton."
"HALIKELD, in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire 1¾ miles NW. of Kirby Sigston."
"JEATER HOUSES, a hamlet in the township of Thimbleby, and parish of Kirby Sigston; 1¾ miles NE. of Kirby Sigston, 5 miles from Northallerton, 7½ from Thirsk."
"SIGSTON SMITHY, in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire ; ¾ mile E. of Kirby Sigston, 3½ miles ENE. of Northallerton."
"SOWERBY UNDER COTCLIFFE, an area in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake & liberty of Allertonshire; ½ mile S. of Kirby Sigston. Pop. 53.
Here was lately discovered, by some workmen throwing up a new road in Mr. Hirst's estate, part of the old Roman strata, leading from Thornton-le-street to Sockburn. --Ed."
"STANK HALL, a farm house in the township of Winton, and parish of Kirby Sigston; ¾ mile NW. of Kirby Sigston, 2½ miles from Northallerton.
This was anciently the seat of the Lacelles, ancestors of the present Earl of Harewood. Francis Lacelles died seized of Stank Hall, in 1624. His eldest son William resided here in 1612, and died in his father's time."
"WINTON, in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake & liberty of Allertonshire; 1¼ miles NNW. of Kirby Sigston, 4 miles ENE. of Northallerton. Pop. 138."
- Transcript of the entry for Kirby Sigston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirby Sigston.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirby Sigston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE415947 (Lat/Lon: 54.346164, -1.363102), Kirby Sigston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: