KIRBY SIGSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"KIRBY SIGSTON, a parish in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Kirby-Sigston, Sowerby tinder Cotliffe, and Winton, and containing 322 inhabitants, of which number, 131 are in the township of Kirby-Sigston, 3 miles N.E. from North Allerton. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Durham for Allerton and Allertonshire, rated in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir T. Slingsby, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence."
"SOWERBY UNDER COTLIFFE, a township in the parish of KIRBY-SIGSTON, wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from North Allerton, containing 53 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]