Hide

KIRBY SIGSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"KIRBY SIGSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Northallerton, its post town. It contains the villages of Sigston Smithy, Sowerby, and Winton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There is no village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has a tower containing two bells. There is a free school."


"HALLIKELD, a hamlet in the township of Winton and parish of Kirby Sigston, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Northallerton."


"SOWERBY UNDER COTCLIFFE, a township in the parish of Kirby Sigston, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Northallerton."


"STANK, a hamlet in the township of Winton, and parish of Kirby Sigston, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Northallerton."


"WINTON, a township in the parish of Kirby Sigston, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N. of Northallerton. It includes the hamlets of Hallikeld and Stank."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013