In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirby Wiske:
"BRECKENBROUGH, in the parish of Kirby Wiske, wapentake of Birdforth; (the seat of John Leathly Armitage, Esq.), 1¼ miles SSE. of Kirby Wiske, 4 miles W. of Thirsk; a village anciently belonging to the family of Lascelles; of which Roger de Lascelles was summoned to parliament, amongst the barons, in the 22nd of Edward I. and the following year. Sir Thomas Lascelles died here May, 1619. Population, including Newsham, 173."
"DANOTTY HALL, a farm house in the township and parish of Kirby Wiske; 1 mile WSW. from Kirby Wiske."
"MAUNBY, in the parish of Kirby Wiske, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire (the seat of Thomas Stubbs Walker, Esq.) ; 1¾ miles NW. of Kirby Wiske, 5 miles S. of Northallerton. Pop. 206."
"NEWBY WISKE, in the parish of Kirby Wiske, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire (Newby Hall, the property of Colonel Mitford, author of the Hist. of Greece, and residence of William Armitage, Esq.) ; 5 miles S. of Northallerton. This village, like several others similarly situated, takes its name front a rivulet called Wiske, on the banks of which it is situated, and over which it has a good stone bridge of five arches. Here is a Methodist chapel, and Sunday school instituted and supported by the Rev. Christopher Bethel, D. D. of Kirby Wiske. Pop. 265"
"NEWSHAM, in the parish of Kirby Wiske, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2½ miles NNW. of Kirby Wiske, 3½ miles W. of Thirsk. Pop. including Brackenbrough, 173.
This place gave birth to Dr. George Hickes, whose great grandfather, was lord of the manor of Nunnington. In Thoresby's Leod. p. 136, is a pedigree of the family. -For further account, see Kirby-Wiske."
"SIKE BRIDGE, and SIKE HOUSES, in the township of Newsham-cum-Brackenbrough, and parish of Kirby-Wiske; ½ mile SSE. of Kirby Wiske. A few cottages."
"SION HILL, (the seat of Joshua Crompton, Esq.) in the township and parish of Kirby-Wiske; ½ mile SW. of Kirby Wiske, 4 miles from Thirsk, 7½ from Northallerton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]