[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRBY WISKE, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles WNW. of Thirsk. Here is a Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, patron, the Duke of Northumberland. Pop. 197." (There is further information for Kirby Wiske).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Kirby Wiske. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Kirby Wiske.
- St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Maunby. (The Church's website is here.)
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- The Methodist Church, Maunby. Built in 1855, in 1857 became part of the United Methodist Free Church. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- Newby Wiske former Methodist Church, Newby Wiske.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirby Wiske in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirby Wiske to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE379849 (Lat/Lon: 54.258374, -1.419717), Kirby Wiske which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War II Memorial plaque in St. John's Church, Kirby Wiske.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: