[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBY FLEETHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles NNE. of Bedale. At Kirkby is a beautiful seat of Mrs. Lawrence, of Studley, and Fleetham is a most delightful little village adjoining. The houses are scattered round the sides of a spacious green, and interspersed with large trees. The Church is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); and the living is a vicarage in the patronage of the King. Pop. 566."
"GREAT FENCOTE, (and Little Fencote), in the parish of Kirkby Fleetham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; ½ mile S. of Kirkby Fleetham, 4½ miles NNE. of Bedale."
"HIGH SALUTATION, (and Low Salutation) in the parish of Kirkby Fleetham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1¼ miles SW. of Kirkby Fleetham."
"KIRKBY HALL, (the seat of Mrs Lawrence) in the township of Fleetham and parish of Kirkby-Fleetham; ¾ mile NNW. of Kirkby Fleetham, 5 miles from Bedale, 8 from Richmond."
"LOW FIELDS, 5 farm houses in the township and parish of Kirkby Fleetham, wapentake of Hang-East; 5¾ miles S. of Kirkby Fleetham, 3 miles from Catterick, 6 from Bedale, 9 from Richmond."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Kirkby Fleetham (view 1). (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Mary's Church, similar view, later date.
- St. Mary's Church, Kirkby Fleetham (view 2).
- St. Andrew's Church, Great Fencote. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Wesleyan Chapel, Great Fencote. (With short history).
- Transcript of the entry for Kirkby Fleetham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirkby Fleetham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkby Fleetham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE284945 (Lat/Lon: 54.345262, -1.564633), Kirkby Fleetham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: