KIRKBY FLEETHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIRKBY FLEETHAM, a parish in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 5 miles from Bedale, its post town, 9 from Richmond, and 31 N. of the Leeming Lane railway station. It is situated near the river Swale, and contains the villages of Fleetham and Great and Little Fencote. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £474, and the vicarial for £288. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Fencote annexed, in the diocese of Ripon, value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient building with a tower containing three bells. There is a National school. Kirkby Hall is the principal residence."
"GREAT FENCOTES, (and Little Fencotes) hamlets in the parish of Kirkby-Fleetham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Bedale, its post town. At Great Fencote is a chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Andrew. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Kirkby-Fleetham, in the diocese of Ripon. The Wesleyans have a chapel at the same place."
"LOW FIELDS, (and Low Street) hamlets in the parish of Kirkby Fleetham, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Bedale."
"SALUTATION, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkby Fleetham, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Bedale."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013