[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH, (or Kirkby on the Hill) a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles NW. of Richmond. The ancient name seems to have been Kirk by Ravensworth, being the parish Church to six townships (see Churches for photograph), and standing near the village of Ravensworth. Pop. 161." (There is further information for Kirkby Ravensworth).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- (1861 and 1891 Census information) for Whashton, Ravensworth, Kirby Hill, Gilling, Hartforth and the surround area is available on the Whashton.net site.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Kirkby Ravensworth in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirkby Ravensworth.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkby Ravensworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ140065 (Lat/Lon: 54.453701, -1.785581), Kirkby Ravensworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II Memorial Plaques in St. Peter's Church, Kirby Hill.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (NZ112094) Dalton Fields
- (NZ122091) Dalton Grange
- (NZ110090) Dalton Hall
- This parish is covered by the following Society: