Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH. Church dedication: ST. PETER AND ST. FELIX. Church type: Augmented perpetual Curacy.
Area, 14,070 acres. Gilling West wapentake. -Population, 1,727 *1; Church-room, 350; Net value, £104. -The Church was given to the Abbey of St. Mary's York, by Bardolf, ancestor to the Lords Fitz Hugh. Patron, the Bishop of Chester.
Valued in the King's Books, at £25. 5s. 2½d., as a Rectory in charge.
Inclosure Acts (Gailesmore) were passed 13th and 17th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1722.
Hospital of St. John the Baptist. Founded by Dr. Dakyn, 26th October, 2nd and 3rd Philip and Mary, for the instruction of youth and the sustentation of the poor. Endowment ; 608a. 3r. 12p. of land, and certain tithes. The total income, at the time of the Report, was £1,233. 18s. The warden has also the patronage of the Rectory of East Cowton. The school contains about sixty free scholars ; only about five receive classical instruction, There are twelve almspeople in the Hospital, who receive 8s. 9d. per week ; part of the revenue is paid for supporting village schools at Helwith, Dalton, Ravensworth, and East Cowton, and certain sums are given to the poor of Kirkby Ravensworth and East Cowton. The Commissioners' account of this hospital is very full.
John Healop's charity by deed, 1666. Rent of 3a. 2r. of land.
TOWNSHIP OF DALTON.
Thomas Buckton's charity, by will, 15th July 1756. rent charge of £3 per annum, for teaching poor children, not exceeding six in number, English. -Vide 7th Report, page 629.
Torre's MS. page 1635. Nonae Roll, page 233. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ravenswet), page 101. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. i. page 118. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 536.
*1 Viz. Dalton, 308; Gayles, 223; Kirby-on-the-Hill, 118; New Forest, 73; Newsham, 546 ; Ravensworth, 300; Whashton, 159.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.