The Ancient Parish of KIRKBYMOORSIDE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBYMOORSIDE, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 6 miles from Helmsley, 8 from Pickering, 14 from Malton, and 29 from York. The Church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph); and the living is a vicarage in the gift of the King. There are here a Methodist Chapel, an Independent Chapel, and a Friends' Meeting House. The market is on Wednesday. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, Wednesday in Whitsun week, and September 18, for horned cattle, sheep and linen. Principal Inn, White Horse. Pop. 1878." (There is further information for Kirkbymoorside).
"BRANSDALE, EAST & WEST SIDE, a dale in the parishes of Kirkbymoorside and Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 8¼ miles NNW. of Kirkbymoorside. The East-side of which is in the township of Farndale, High-Quarter, and in Kirkbymoorside parish; and the West-side, a township of itself, in Kirkdale parish; Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. Henry King, is curate. Population of East, 455; of West, 286 ; total, 741."
"COCKAYNE, comprising a few houses, in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, township of Bransdale west-side, wapentake of Rydale; 9 miles NNW. from Kirkbymoorside. Here is a Chapel of ease."
"FADMOOR, in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, and wapentake of Rydale, 2½ miles NW. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 162."
"FARNDALE WEST SIDE, or Farndale Low Quarter, a township in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, wapentake of Rydale; 6 miles NNW. from Kirbymoorside, 10 from Helmsley and Pickering. Population 213."
"GILLAMOOR, in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, wapentake of Rydale; 2½ miles NNW. of Kirkbymoorside. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. Henry King is curate. Pop. 195."
"KELDHOLME, in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, wapentake of Rydale; ¾ mile E. of Kirkbymoorside. There is here a flax spinning manufactory, carried on by Mr. Caleb Fletcher.
In the time of King Henry I. a nunnery, for Monks of the Cistercian order; was founded here by Robert de Stuteville, and dedicated to the Virgin. At the dissolution here was a Prioress and eight Nuns, who had a yearly revenue of 29L. 6s. 1d. The site was granted to Ralph Earl of Westmorland. -Burton. Not a vestige of this house is now remaining; and on the site is erected an oil and flax mill. -In 1813, when part of the foundations was cleared away, several tombstones and stone coffins were discovered."
"KIRBY MILLS, in the township and parish of Kirkbymoorside, wapentake of Rydale; ½ mile ESE. of Kirkbymoorside."
"SLEIGHTHOLMEDALE, a hamlet in the township of Fadmoor and parish of Kirkbymoorside, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkbymoorside."
- Sandra Wilson has transcribed the Monumental Inscriptions for St. Aidan's Church Gillamoor. (Vodaphone having killed off Demon internet, this is now on the Archive.org site)
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Kirkbymoorside.
- St. Aidan's Church, Gillamoor.
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- The Methodist Chapel (was Wesleyan) 1867, Gillamoor, founded in 1867. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Kirkbymoorside. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St. Chad, Kirkbymoorside.
- St. Nicholas' Church, Cockayne (view 1).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- St. Nicholas' Church, Cockayne (view 2).
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkbymoorside to another place.
- In 1873 the township of Farndale West Side(in this parish) joined with other townships to become a parish in their own right. See Bransdale with Farndale Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE697862 (Lat/Lon: 54.266719, -0.931343), Kirkbymoorside which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE665950) Keysbeck
- (SE669948) Knaysbeck
- (SE657913) Stonely Woods