Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Kirkbymoorside parish:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Kirkbymoorside parish:

Kirkbymoorside, Vicars transcription:

The List of Vicars in All Saints Church, Kirkbymoorside.

A church has stood on this site since Saxon times and has given the town its name. Kirkbymoorside
means 'Church by the Moor Side'. Saxon ornamental crosses were found many years ago in the churchyard.
Nothing more of the original Saxon church here remains. The earliest part of the present church is Norman.
One window on the south side of the Sanctuary is of Norman origin. Much of the rest of the church is medieval.
Of particular interest is the porch with the Priest's Chamber or Muniments Room above which has a
fireplace and chimney. The tower was rebuilt in 1803 and one original buttress on the north and one south side are preserved.
The interior has undergone many restorations. The Pillars at the west end of the Nave are twelfth century.
The Sedilia and the Piscina (pair of stone seats and washing basin beside them in the Sanctuary),
although restored are of ancient date. The interior was completely restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1875. The Lady Chapel
was furnished in 1932 and the Chancel Screen is a war memorial to those who fell in the First World War.
The church is now dedicated to All Saints' (formerly All Hallows). The registers date from 1622 and include the
record of the death of George Villiers 'Lord dook of Buckingham' a friend of Charles II in 1678.
The Church of St Aidan, Gillamoor, two miles north of here is a Chapel of Ease to Kirkbymoorside and linked
with this parish are the churches of St Mary, Farndale and St Nicholas, Bransdale.
The Vicar of Kirkbymoorside is Vicar of these three churches as well.


14 April 1288William de Hexhildesham 1 April 1707James Musgrave MA
Walter de Newton 1 Sept 1714Henry Maunder MA
John Dysworth 4 Feb 1756William Comber MA
30 April 1392Roger de Ripon 4 Mar 1811Joseph Smyth BA
15 Nov 1412John de Raskell 11 April 1826Edmund Gray MA
24 Oct 1433Robert Carvell 11 Mar 1851John Rowlandson MA
24 July 1456Thomas Kirkby Canon and Prior of Newburgh 9 Aug 1856Charles Rae Hay
5 April 1484Nicholas Wyspyngton Canon of Newburgh 7 Jun 1858William Drayton Carter MA
23 Aug 1487Job Donald 1866John Spencer
7 Feb 1501Thomas Pereson vel Persay 1868Edward Mourant Birch BA
8 Jan 1504William Baker 7 May 1874David Milford Cust MA
16 Mar 1505Thomas Weldon 17 Mar 1877Walter Guy Ketchley
1 Mar 1533Robert Thorp 10 Jun 1905Herbert Edward Willson MA
William Barker 2 Mar 1922Anthony Simpson Harnby BA Canon of York
15 Dec 1548Richard Judson 29 Sep 1950Albert Robinson BA
27 Mar 1593Richard Clarke MA 12 Jun 1953John Castledine AKG
27 Jan 1594William Denton BA 5 July 1963Dennis Ralph Brandon BA
2 July 161Henry Thurscroff MA Archbishop's Chaplain 26 Feb 1968Michael John Wright
28 May 1625Timothy Thurscroff MA 25 Jul 1974Lionel Philip Clare
17 Oct 1638Thomas Strother MA 7 Jun 1984Alan Hughes
12 Nov 1660Thomas Harwyke 13 Jul 1995David Purdy BA M Phil
5 Oct 1677Thomas Shepherd   

Data transcribed by
Haydn Scott.
from photography by Colin Hinson