KIRKLEATHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"KIRKLEATHAM, in the liberty of Langbaugh, is a village in the parish of its name, four miles and a half N. E. of that town, situated near to the mouth of the Tees. It contains an elegant parish church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, and an hospital, erected and endowed in 1669, by Sir William Turner, for forty poor people. The township contained, in 1821, 686 inhabitants."
Note: The directory entry for Kirkleatham in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Stokesley.
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007