The Ancient Parish of KIRKLEVINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKLEVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles SSE. of Yarm. The church, dedicated to St. Martin (see Churches for photograph), is a small ancient structure. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, of which the Rev. John Graves is the incumbent. Here also was a castle, which anciently belonged to the family of Meinills; after passing through several other families, it was at last parcelled out to different purchasers: a circular eminence, called Castle Hill, is the only vestige of that ancient fortress. Pop. 282."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirklevington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirklevington.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirklevington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ427098 (Lat/Lon: 54.481761, -1.342476), Kirklevington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: