[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LASTINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 4 miles NNE. of Kirkbymoorside. The church is a very large and ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), and has, in all probability, belonged to the monastery. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the King, of which the Rev, W. N. Darnell is the incumbent. Here is also a Methodist chapel Population, 225.
In 648, Edilwald, son of Oswald, - King of Northumbria, gave to Cedde, bishop of the East-Saxons, a piece of ground, called Lestingay, for binding a monastery. He instituted here the same discipline as at Lindisfarn, where he had been educated. In this monastery he died about the year 664. -Dugdale. This monastery was destroyed in 870, restored in 1078, and in 1088 the fraternity removed to York. Underneath the choir of the present church, and of the same dimensions, is a vaulted crypt, 13 paces by 8, the massy cylindrical columns of which, with their variously sculptured columns and arches, are all in great preservation, and exhibit excellent specimens of Saxon architecture. The entrance is through a trap-door from the west-end of the choir, and consists of a centre and two side ailes, lighted by a small window at the east-end of each aile, and being situated on the brow of a steep bill, admit light. The east-end is circular, resembling the crypt or bone-house at Ripon minster, which was built about the same time."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Lastingham.
- Christ Church, Appleton le Moors (Front).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- Christ Church, Appleton le Moors (Rear).
- The Methodist Church, Appleton le Moors, built as a Wesleyan Chapel in 1832.
- St. Chad's Church, Hutton le Hole.
- St. Mary's Church and churchyard, East side showing the setting.
- St. Mary's Church and churchyard, Farndale (East side) (view 1).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- St. Mary's Church and churchyard, Farndale (East side) (view 2).
- St. Lawrence's Church, Rosedale Abbey (view 1).
- St. Lawrence's Church, Rosedale Abbey (view 2).
- The Old Methodist Chapel, Lastingham.
- The former Methodist Chapel, Rosedale Abbey.
- The Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, Rosedale Abbey.
- Transcript of the entry for Lastingham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry for Farndale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry for Rosedale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The Church rebuilding plaque in St. Mary's Church, Farndale.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1890. of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lastingham to another place.
- For the combined records of the people of Rosedale, Cropton and Hartoft, please see Carol Barlett's Rosedale People pages.
- In 1873 the township of Farndale East Side(in this parish) joined with other townships to become a parish in their own right. See Bransdale with Farndale Parish.
- About 1874 the township of Rosedale (in this and Middleton parish) became a parish in its own right. See Rosedale Parish.
- The Rosedale History Society has a page about Rosedale History.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE728905 (Lat/Lon: 54.304926, -0.882711), Lastingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Roll of Honour in St. Lawrence's Church, Rosedale Abbey.
- The 1914-18 War Memorial in St. Mary's Churchyard, Farndale
- The 1914-1918 Memorial plaque in Appleton le Moors Church.
- The various War Memorials at Rosedale Abbey Village.
- The War Memorial on the green at Hutton le Hole.
- The Roll of Honour in Christ Church, Appleton le Moors.
- See "Cemeteries" above.