Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LEAKE.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Peculiar. Vicarage in charge.

Area, 7,520 acres. Allertonshire wapentake *1. -Population, 1,089 *2; Church and Chapel-room, 2,000 *3; Value, no return. This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, till it was appropriated to the Bishop's Table in 1330, and a Vicarage ordained therein 17th July 1344.

Patron, the Bishop of Durham.

Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £53. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £26. 13s. 4d. The Vicarage is valued in the King's Books at £16 per annum.

" The Vicarage is endowed with all tithes, except the tithe of corn. Value above £30 per annum." Signed, "Thos. Forster, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis,No. 905.

An Inclosure Act was passed 39th Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " too small and out of repair." No return in 1834.

The Register Books commence in 1570-severalchasms. -Vide transcripts at Durham.

CHARITIES. -TOWNSHIP OF BORROWBY. -Poor's land. Close, containing rather less than an acre-donor unknown. Rent distributed among poor widows.

Snowden's rent charge. rent charge of 20s. per annum-origin unknown. Half of the money is bestowed in tea to poor widows, and the other half is paid for teaching a poor boy to read.

Rent charge of £5 per annum-donor unknown. Applied in teaching four poor boys to read and write, and finding them in books and stationery.

TOWNSHIP OF KNAYTON.

John Brown's charity. Annual rent charge of 24s., laid out in bread.

William Arming's gift. Interest of £20, laid out in bread.

George Harland's gift, by will, dated 29th April 1807. rent charge of £5 per annum, for educating six of the poorest children of the township. -Vide 6th Report, page 592.

Post town: Northallerton.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1321. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 122. Nonae Rolls, page 241. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 88. Bawd. wen's Domesday Book (Lecher), pages 10. 76. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 132.


Notes:
*1 Partly in Birdforth wapentake.

*2 Viz. Borrowby, 350; Crosby, 37; Knayton with Brawith, 336; Landmoth with Catto, 53 ; Leak, 9; Nether Silton, 178; Gueldable, 126.

*3 According to the return in 1818. No return in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.