The Ancient Parish of LEAKE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LEAKE, a parish in the wapentake & liberty of Allertonshire; 6 miles ESE. of Northallerton. The church (see Churches for photograph) and farm house are all the remains of Leake, once a large town, but which was destroyed about the time of the Norman Conquest. The living is a vicarage, dedicated to St Mary, in the deanry of Cleveland, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, and the Rev. W. Warrington is the incumbent. Mr. William Morton, yeoman, resides at the hall. Population 11."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Leake. (The Church's website is here.)
- All Saints' Church, Nether Silton (view 1).
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- All Saints' Church, Nether Silton (view 2).
- Borrowby Methodist Church, Borrowby. (The Church's website is here.)
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Leake.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leake to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE433907 (Lat/Lon: 54.310069, -1.335993), Leake which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in the Churchyard at Leake.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: