The Ancient Parish of LEVISHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LEVISHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 5 miles N. of Pickering. Here is an ancient church (see Churches for photograph), the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Mrs. Skelton, of which the Rev. Robert Skelton, is the resident incumbent. There is also a free school endowed with £12. per annum. Population, 152."
"HOLE OF HORCUM, a cave, in the parish of Levisham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2 miles NNE. of Levisham, 7 miles NNE. of Pickering."
"NEWTON DALE, the west-side of this dale is in the township of Newton, and parishes of Pickering and Levisham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 7 miles N. of Pickering."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcripts of the Parish registers, all the census returns from 1841 - 1901, plus a lot more Levisham material is available in the Levisham Village Archive.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Levisham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Levisham.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Levisham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE833905 (Lat/Lon: 54.303324, -0.721388), Levisham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)