[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"LOFTUS, (earlier was Lofthouse - beware the Lofthouse in WRY though!) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 9 miles ENE. of Guisborough; bounded on the north by the German ocean. It is a pleasant village, forming one continued street, or line of buildings, principally of stone; the neighbourhood abounding with stone and alum rock. The village is chiefly dependent upon the alum works here, belonging to Lord Dundas. There is a market held here on Thursday, by custom; and there is a Methodist chapel, built by subscription in 1820. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard (see Churches
for photograph), and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the King. Pop. including Waupley, 1178." (There is further information for Loftus
"HANDALE, in the parish of Loftus, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¾ miles SSE. of Loftus, 8 miles ENE. of Guisborough. There is here a shooting box of Edmund Turton, Esq.
A Benedictine Priory was founded here in 1133, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, by William de Percy, grandson of the first William de Percy, who endowed it with lands in Grendale, Dunsley, and Staxton. At the dissolution there were eight Nuns, when the revenue was only 13L. 19s. --Dugdale, 20L. 7s. 8d. --Speed. The site of this Priory was granted, 35 Henry VIII. to Ambrose Beckwith, in those, descendants it continued for several generations. It is now the property of Thos. Stevenson, Esq. -Tanner. -Burton. Little of this monastic building now remains, except the west-end of the chapel, and some of the walls which are observable in the farm-house erected on the site. --Graves."
"HUMMERSEA, a single house in the township and parish of Loftus; ¾ mile NNE. of Loftus."
"STREET HOUSES, 3 farm houses in the parish of Loftus, and wapentake of Langbargh; 1½ miles ENE. of Loftus, 1 mile NE. of Loftus; the residence of Mr. J. C. Liomin."
"WAUPLEY, (or Wapley, later High Waupley), in the parish of Loftus, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; 2½ miles SSE. of Loftus."
"WAUPLEY NEW INN, in the township and parish of Loftus; 3¾ miles SSE. of Loftus."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]