LOFTUS, (earlier was Lofthouse - beware the Lofthouse in WRY though!) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 9 miles ENE. of Guisborough; bounded on the north by the German ocean. It is a pleasant village, forming one continued street, or line of buildings, principally of stone; the neighbourhood abounding with stone and alum rock. The village is chiefly dependent upon the alum works here, belonging to Lord Dundas. There is a market held here on Thursday, by custom; and there is a Methodist chapel, built by subscription in 1820. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the King. Pop. including Waupley, 1178.
It was given by William de Saucey, to the Prior and convent of Guisborough, and continued a rectory under their patronage till the dissolution of that monastery, when it came to the crown. Lofthouse was, in the last century, the seat of the well known Zachary Harnage Moore, Esq. who having expended, with unbounded liberality, a very princely fortune, was reduced to the necessity of accepting an ensigncy at Gib'raltar, in the 47th year of his age. In Crazy Tales we have the following monumental inscription to his memory.
Z. M. Esq.
A living Monument
Of the friendship and generosity of the great;
After an intimacy of thirty years,
With most of the great personages of these Kingdoms,
Who did him the honour to assist him,
In the laborious work,
Of getting to the far end of a great fortune,
These his noble friends,
From gratitude, for the many happy days and nights,
Enjoy'd by his means,
Exalted him, through their influence,
In the 47th year of his age,
To an insigncy;
Which he actually enjoys at present
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]